News:

Topic: Making NVil run on Linux...  (Read 238 times)

• Triangle
October 14, 2017, 08:10:20 PM
I've been running Win10 since it was first released. Very happy with it. It runs all my old and new software really well.

Only thing I found slightly annoying about it is that you need to go through and adjust your privacy and advertising settings. There is plenty of info out there on how to do that.

• Polygon
October 15, 2017, 01:21:28 AM
I don't think I will be able to look into this soon. It is a very huge task.
I understand. I'm not pressing, because for the time being the gain wouldn't probably be worth the effort yet. However please keep it in mind. Perhaps someday when you have nothing more important to do, you'd sit by your workstation and WHAM! Next month we have a brand new NVil on Linux.  :D

I've been running Win10 since it was first released. Very happy with it. It runs all my old and new software really well.

Only thing I found slightly annoying about it is that you need to go through and adjust your privacy and advertising settings. There is plenty of info out there on how to do that.
Hi Kevjon. It's not the speed that is the main problem, but data mining and disclosure of private data to third party affiliates and business partners, whoever they might be. Unless you are running an Enterprise edition (acquirable through volume licensing), you can't turn telemetry completely off as it resets to Basic level. And even the Security setting in Enterprise (lowest telemetry setting in this edition) still sends the data out. It's impossible to know what kind of data gets passed to MS servers without decrypting telemetry packets or analyzing the source code - which is closed of course.

adjust your privacy and advertising settings
There shouldn't be any advertising software embedded into operating system in the first place. Especially in a system for which people pay. Won't you agree? ::)

• Triangle
October 15, 2017, 08:38:54 AM

There shouldn't be any advertising software embedded into operating system in the first place. Especially in a system for which people pay. Won't you agree? ::)

I'd prefer there wasn't but luckily there are plenty of web pages around to show you how to turn it off.
Its embedded in quite a few places within the operating system. https://www.howtogeek.com/269331/how-to-disable-all-of-windows-10s-built-in-advertising/

I had a quick google and some web pages state that data mining in 7 & 8 is the same as 10.

Anyway, not trying to sell you on the idea of 10.

Back to the topic at hand !
Blender has a linux version.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:19:08 AM by kevjon »